Thursday, November 19, 2015

Transmetropolitan in class review

1. Transmetropolitan contains lots of symbolism, but I find that corruption and the use of power to slowly turn our world into a dystopia is a big part of this story. The main character Spider is pointing all of this out to us within the first couple pages of the comic. The author wants us to know he left corporate to be free of the corruption and be able to live in peace by himself. At one point he mentions that he fled to the mountains because he had to write what the people wanted to hear, and not the truth.


2. I feel I connected with this story, because I find myself not wanting to do what the person in power wants me to do. Especially with my art and not being able to constantly do what inspires me.

How spider lives for five years is how I really connected with this story. I moved from the mountains of North Carolina to come to school in Florida and it's drastically different. If I had the chance I would love to move back to NC and live a hermit lifestyle.


3. I think this story could EASILY be a anime, all I could think of while reading it was Fooly Cooly. Fooly Cooly's animation style was simple enough, but it played like a manga which I think is really important when adapting mediums.

I wouldn't change anything with how it read because I feel the way the comic is written is very linear and wouldn't be a challenge to adapt. I would even put parts of the strip into the anime to show the original context of the story. I think doing that is important, because it reminds you of the original context as well as gives it a comic book feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment